Doug The Tech Guy Forums
Welcome!

Please take advantage of this opportunity to become a registered member of the forum as a registered member you will be eligible to participate in promotional giveaways from Computers Plus & TehamaGlobal.Net
Doug The Tech Guy Forums
Welcome!

Please take advantage of this opportunity to become a registered member of the forum as a registered member you will be eligible to participate in promotional giveaways from Computers Plus & TehamaGlobal.Net
Doug The Tech Guy Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Computer Forum PC Help

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Similar topics

Vista Updates and SP1

Go down 
    AuthorMessage
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 579
    Registration date : 2008-12-31

Vista Updates and SP1 Empty
    PostSubject: Vista Updates and SP1   Vista Updates and SP1 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 3:49 am

I just thought i would share a little about what I've been seeing a lot lately with Microsoft Updates for Vista.

There have been numerous updates recently that cover an array of fixes and patches for non SP1 installations as well as prerequisites for installing SP1 on Vista machines the problem is several updates as well as SP1 itself have been corrupting the operating system during the install process rendering it unrecoverable.

Do yourself a favor and set your automatic update settings to notify you of new updates but let you choose which ones to install.

How do i know which ones to install you ask?

Every update has a KB number example KB92947 check the list of available updates and right down the KB numbers of the updates and search on Google for installation issues with the KB number you may be shocked what you find if you get a lot of results pertaining to issues with that update that's probably one you don't want to install choose hide update.

If you do choose to install troublesome updates here is what i recommend:

1. make notes of any workarounds you may come across while researching updates
    2. make a backup of your files!
    3. exit all running programs before starting updates especially anti virus software!

Extra steps for advanced users

1. uncheck everything not needed from start up folder untill updates are done
    2. stop unneeded services from starting untill updates are done

I hope this helps you to keep your computer up to date safely.. Very Happy
    Back to top Go down
    http://www.dougthetechguy.com/

Vista Updates and SP1
    Page 1 of 1