Doug The Tech Guy Forums
Welcome!

Please take advantage of this opportunity to become a registered member of the forum as a registered member you will be eligible to participate in promotional giveaways from Computers Plus & TehamaGlobal.Net
Doug The Tech Guy Forums
Welcome!

Please take advantage of this opportunity to become a registered member of the forum as a registered member you will be eligible to participate in promotional giveaways from Computers Plus & TehamaGlobal.Net
Doug The Tech Guy Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Computer Forum PC Help

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Toolbars from Hell

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Toolbars from Hell Empty
PostSubject: Toolbars from Hell   Toolbars from Hell EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 12:19 am

I thought I would take some time to talk about browser toolbars they seem to come with everything.

I get machines that come in for repair that have four or five toolbars all active with the browser and when I ask if they use them most people say they don't even know how they got there and they are taking up about three inches of screen area and they don't know how to get rid of them.

Most toolbars are just a vehicle for advertising and can even be a form of spyware and can cause issues with your browser's performance and usability.

How do they get there? there are a ton of software vendors that are partnered together for the sake of advertising, Let's say you install a program from vendor X during the install process if you go slow and read the install screens you will usually see that toolbar Y is going to be installed as well now most installers will give you the option to not install the add on toolbar by unchecking it but lately they have been making it a little trickier by wrapping that option in the I agree to terms of use or license to make people think that there is no way to opt out of the add ons on most installers if you don't agree to terms you can't install anything but on these advertising supported installs choose the no option to not agree to terms and it won't install all the crap but will continue to install the software your after just slow down and read the screens and remember to look for ways to opt out of the crap you don't want.

if I run across a program that just absolutely won't give you the option to not install all kinds of other crap i don't install it at all and avoid any software by that vendor.

What if you already have several toolbars installed? there are several ways to disable the toolbars already installed on your browser the easiest way is to go to view on your browser and then toolbars and uncheck the toolbars you don't want or you can go to manage add ons and disable the ones you don't want there but the best way to make sure they are gone for good is add remove programs and uninstall the toolbars there.

Anyway hope this helps! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.dougthetechguy.com/

Toolbars from Hell
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Doug The Tech Guy Forums :: Discuss Internet Browsers :: Browser Toolbars-
Jump to: